On Tuesday, the 24th of January, we welcomed parents to John Chilton School for an excellent Occupational Therapy Workshop delivered by JCS Education Occupational Therapist Bernadette Barthram and the Health NHS Occupational Therapist Vanessa Trueman.
This workshop aimed to explain the Different roles of Occupational Therapists in school and at home, followed by a question and answer session for parents.
JCS Education Occupational Therapist Bernadette Barthram talked about:
- Providing individual programmes for children to learn how to play, write and use Assistive Technology
- Providing necessary feeding equipment to support children so they can feed themselves independently
- Arranging Manual or electrically-operated chairs, Positioning aids and cushions to ensure day-to-day independence, and postural support, maximize comfort and relieve pressure.
Health NHS Occupational Therapist Vanessa Trueman talked about:
- Providing individual programmes for children to ensure ‘self-care development’ at home, including feeding, toileting, and dressing.
- ‘Home- visit’ to assess equipment needs to support transfer.
- Support with housing and adaptations where needed for the home.
It was an excellent contribution from our JCS O.T. to collaborate closely with our parents, network and empower them by providing advice and support on the above topics. Parents valued the opportunity to join the event, gain information, be confident and feel supported.
Thank you to everyone who attended the event and helped make it a huge success.